|“||Well, apologizing and not meaning it kind of defeats the purpose of apologizing.||”|
––Katy Swartz, Obsidian
Katy Swartz is a girl that moves from Florida to Colorado, gets involved with aliens, and turned into a hybrid.
Katy Swartz lived in Florida with her family until her father died of cancer and, after three years, her mother decides to move to West Virginia. There Katy discovers that her neighbours are not quite who they seem to be, and her life changes forever.
Personality and traits Edit
Katy is portrayed as a spunky teen who is just trying to get through high school. Equipped with a sharp tongue, Katy happily lobs verbal grenades at Daemon, engaging with him head on, demonstrating her strength of character. She finds comfort in reading different books and updating her book blog, and gardening since she finds it be calming. She cares for all of her friends and will stick up for them no matter what the circumstance, and deeply loves her mother. She is very kind, strong, and takes care of her family and friends.
Katy has mousy brown hair, lightly tanned skin and heather grey eyes, which Daemon, upon meeting her, described as "intelligent". In Obsidian, she mentions she has curvy hips, puffy lips and large eyes, making her think she looks like a demented kewpie doll. In reality though, Katy is exceptionally pretty, with big eyes and a full mouth - she has an air of innocence to her appearance making her seem younger than she is. One would say she is doll-like, especially considering her lack of height.According to Daemon she seems like a vaccant doll.
- Daemon Black: Katy and Daemon Black have had a slightly complicated relationship. In the beginning, Katy described Daemon as arrogant and annoying, but when ever a mental insult came about, as did a compliment. During the first few interactions between them, she would often get distracted by his looks. After a while, Katy pushes through the barrier that he puts up and the two end up getting along. In Onyx Daemon has to prove his feelings for Katy by the end of the book they are dating.Daemon deeply loves her and he can do anything for her. In Opal they have some arguments but other than that they're fine until Katy is captured by Daedalus. By the end of Origin they are married.
- Simon Cutters: He asks her to the dance, and she says “yes.” She's warned by her friends that Simon is a player/womanizer. Daemon also tries to warn her about Simon but Katy is adamant she can handle him. Simon shows up at Katy's house buzzed & is extremely handsy at the dance. After the dance Simon takes her to a field party & attempts to sexually assault her but Daemon shows up. Later at school Simon starts spreading rumors about their time at the dance & Daemon works on setting the record straight.
- Blake Sanders: Aka: surfer dude. Katy's trying to avoid her feelings for Daemon so she goes on dates with Blake because she believes he's a normal human. However, after their 1st date outside the diner a large branch breaks right above them & Katy unintentionally freezes it. During their final date an Arum shows up at the diner which Blake kills. Afterwards Blake tells Katy that he believes she has been mutated by a Luxen & if she does not learn to control her powers she will risk exposing herself & getting captured by the DOD. He tells her he can help train her and she agrees despite Daemon's objection. During one of the training sessions Blake throws a knife at her, testing to see if she could stop the knife, Daemon flips out and Blake leaves but Katy points out that she didn't just stop the knife she froze it and insists she needs to continue training. Their final training Blake suggests getting food and brings her outside the range of the quartzite while telling her she's still within range. On the way back he abruptly pulls over & forces Katy to fight an Arum. Katy is furious with him for almost killing her, and she regrets not listening to Daemon about not trusting Blake. Blake tries to turn her over to the DOD but it doesn't go as planned he kills Adam but Daemon and Katy let him go. He later returns in Opal & threatening to turn in Katy if her & Daemon won't help him break out his friend from one of the DOD's compounds. In Origin she kills Blake during a stress test while held prisoner by the DOD. Blake goades her into fighting him. She is ashamed and harbors tremendous guilt over it despite Blake's lies, blackmailing, and continously putting her and others in danger.
- Dee Black: Katy and Dee Black have a decent relationship. They met at a grocery store, the one that Daemon told her the directions to. At first, she was helping Katy do some gardening for Katy’s back yard. They are best friends and spend most of their time together up until Adam is killed, putting a large strain on their relationship and it causes Dee to ignore her for a while. They make up after Katy is captured by Daedalus.
Swartz is a different way of spelling the German word "schwarz" which means black.
- “But then there’s all kinds of special now, isn’t there, Daemon.”
- “Just because I’m human doesn’t mean I’m a coward or unethical. I’d never do anything that would put Dee in danger. Why would my life be more valuable than hers? Now yours…debatable. But not Dee.”
- “No. Sorry. You have spent months being the biggest jerk to me. You don’t get to decide to like me one day and think I will forget all of that. I want someone to care for me like my dad cared for my mom. And you aren’t him.”
- "But i wasn't going to knowingly put you in risk. You mean too much to me. " 
- "Holy alien butt crack." (Opal)
- “That made me happy.“You made me happy. And I still care about you. Okay? You mean something to me—something I can’t really even put into words because everything seems too lame in comparison. I’ve always wanted you, even when I hated you. I want you even though you drive me freaking insane. And I know I screwed everything up. Not just for you and me, but for Dee.”(
- “I didn’t get you up here to indulge in wild monkey lust.”
- “You’re going to be grateful when the zombie apocalypse occurs and I know what to do because of my zombie fetish.”
- “I have the feeling we just made a deal with the devil, and he’s going to come back and want our firstborn child or something.”
- “You should be glad I’m laughing. Because the other option is hitting you again, which is still up—”
- “I know this is coming from a good place, but just because it’s getting ugly, I can’t back out. And you know you’re not going to. It’s only fair.”
- “The kid’s like Damien from The Omen.”
- “So…so they had a baby?”
- “I want to vomit.”
- “Don’t even think about saying something dirty or trying to kiss me while you’re still in Nancy’s body.”
- “I love you. That’s never going to change.”
- “That’s one hell of a way to pay her back for letting us borrow it.”
- “I will always love you. And we are in this together. That’s never going to change. Do you understand?”
- On school mornings Katy likes to eat Pop-Tarts and drink orange juice.