Daemon Black is a very powerful Luxen.
Background and History
Daemon Black is a Luxen who was sent to earth years before the first book, Obsidian. He was sent to earth after the destruction of his planet. His parents never made it to Earth with him, but his siblings Dee Black and Dawson Black did, along with a few others of their kind.
They were raised by the government and a Luxen, Matthew. They chose their genetics by mimicking a human's DNA. He lived with his siblings Dee and Dawson and remained close to triplets Ashley, Adam, and Andrew before the events of the first book.
In the prequel, Shadows, Daemon sees his brother Dawson fall in love with a human girl, Bethany Williams. He is upset and wishes they wouldn't be together because being together with a human puts the whole family in jeopardy. Daemon also cannot understand why Dawson would be with a human girl and swears he could never be with a human. After the news of Dawson and Bethany being killed by Arum breaks, he is deeply grieving his brother and swears to protect his sister Dee fiercely. Due to this trauma, he also swears off humans.
Time passes, and a new neighbor moves to the house next door, which was strange since the government gave housing to the Luxen far away from humans to minimize the risk of exposure.
He answers the door one day to meet the new neighbor, Katy Swartz who just moved in that day with her mother, Kellie Swartz. At first, Daemon is not impressed with the girl, but her strong temperament amuses him as he teases her. He also acts rudely toward her in hopes to drive her away, because he still thinks humans are no good and a risk to her sister. As Dee and Katy got along instantly, it makes Daemon more eager to drive her away.
Still, as time passes and Katy is around due to being friends with Dee, Daemon begins to feel attracted to Katy and to care for her well-being as he saves her from an Arum that attacks her outside the library one day.
After they go on a walk together, and Daemon is particularly rude to her, Katy runs out and is about to get hit by a truck when Daemon stops time to save her life. Exposing himself and his family as aliens to save Katy.
Daemon then tries to keep his distance from Katy, but because he's had to save her life a few times, she carries a trace of energy around her that the Arum, the Luxen's greatest enemy, can detect. Therefore, Daemon is forced to spend time with Katy and protect her from potential attacks until the effect from his trace has faded away.
Unbeknownst to either Katy or Daemon their relationship had been engineered by Daedalus as they were the ones that allowed Katy and her mom to move next door to Daemon's house which had always been forbidden secretly by the government until then.
In The Burning Shadow, Katy is pregnant with her first child with Daemon, and due any time.
In The Brightest Night, Daemon and Katy welcome their son Adam Black. Adam was born in November (4 years after the events of Opposition). It was a difficult delivery for Katy because Adam was feetfirst so there was a lot of bleeding and the umbilical cord was cramped and he was losing oxygen. Luc kept him alive using the Source while Daemon used the Source also to keep Katy alive.
Daemon is physically described to be beautiful and/or handsome. He has emerald eyes, compared to the greenest of forests, and raven black hair with long dark eyelashes, which complements his tanned skin. It is mentioned in Obsidian he is not in favor of shirts and is known to walk around shirtless most of the time; even in the winter.
When you first meet Daemon, he comes off as arrogant. But as the story progresses, the arrogance turns out to be a mask, hiding his true thoughts, reactions, and personality. He is often kind, thoughtful, and incredibly sweet and he always wants to please his sister even if it means doing something he doesn't want to. He has done multiple things for Katy to show his love for her, one of them was to buy her a new red Macbook. His outer demeanor usually consists of him making snarky and sarcastic comments, especially towards those he has no interest in being acquainted with. In Obsidian, the story had describe how Daemon's words were sometimes at war with the look in his eyes.
Daemon is protective and possessive; especially towards his family. He would do anything and everything to protect those he loves. Though he wouldn't normally do it, he would even beg if it meant saving a loved one's life (as seen in Obsidian when he begged for Katy's life). As for his possessiveness, he is possessive over Katy. He gets jealous whenever she goes near another guy. He is also willing to sacrifice anything for her including himself.
- Aura reading
- Chronokinesis: Daemon like all Luxen can bend space and time.
- Enhanced speed: Travel using light, and move at the speed of light.
- Fire manipulation: He can create fire, as fire does not hurt Luxen as it's part of them.
- Healing: All Luxen have a healing property but not all are good at using this power, some can heal anything as long as it's still somewhat alive.
- Photokinesis (light powers): Luxen can manipulate light, they become almost invisible, and dispel shadow, with an opal, they can even becomes purely invisible.
- Shapeshifting: The Luxen do not actually change forms when they shape-shift, they manipulate the light and the way it refracts to produce a different image.
- Telekinesis: Luxen can manipulate and move objects, animated or not.
"I broke every rule of my kind to heal you and keep you with me. I married you and burned down an entire city to keep you safe. I've killed for you. Did you think I'd forget what you mean to me? That anything in this world-in any world-would be stronger than my love for you?" – Daemon to Katy, Opposition
Daemon and Katy Swartz have had a slightly complicated relationship. In the beginning, Katy described Daemon as arrogant and annoying, but whenever a mental insult came about, as did a compliment. During the first few interactions between them, she would often get distracted by his looks. After a while, Katy pushes through the barrier that he puts up, and the two end up getting along. After Daemon mutates Katy by healing her, Katy does everything she can to remain independent without needing his protection. She refuses to commit to a romantic relationship with him until she realizes that Daemon means more to her than just a mental connection. By the end of Onyx, they are romantically involved. Their relationship continues going strong throughout the next three novels. Both would sacrifice anything to protect the other and it shows during the events of Origin. It is revealed that their strong relationship is what keeps Daemon grounded and prevents him from being influenced by his kind during Opposition. By the end of the series, the two are happy and are to have an official wedding ceremony in the future.
Dee Black: Daemon and Dee Black have a good brother-sister relationship. Daemon would do anything to protect Dee after their brother Dawson Black went missing and was believed to be dead. Because his first instinct is to protect Dee, he often does things to please her as well. In Obsidian, Daemon takes Katy to a remote lake for the day, saying that if he ever wants his car keys back after Dee stole them, he needs to earn 'bonus points' which are collected by doing something that Dee wants. During the events of Opposition, Dee is the only one of the triplets to be influenced by their kind. Though Daemon had opportunities to escape in order to protect Katy, he knew he could not abandon his sister nor fight her.
Dawson Black: Daemon loves his brother like he loves his sister. Daemon nearly lost it when he was told his brother was dead and vowed to do everything he could to protect what was left of his family. At the chance of finding Dawson, Daemon went to great lengths to save him. He was shocked, yet supportive when he found out that he would be an uncle to Dawson's and Beth's child.
- The Wedding
- The Package
- Like the First Time
- The Darkest Star
- The Burning Shadow
- The Brightest Night
- Sweet Reckoning (alluded to)
- "Did you think you could stop me? I'll burn the world down to save her".–Daemon to Dawson (Origin)
- “So I was thinking, there're eighty-six thousand, four hundred seconds in a day, right? There're one thousand, four hundred and forty minutes in a day...There're one hundred and sixty-eight hours in a week. Around eighty-seven hundred and then some hours in a year, and you know what?... I want to spend every second, every minute, every hour with you...I want a year's worth of seconds and minutes with you. I want a decade's worth of hours, so many that I can't add them up.–Daemon to Katy (Origin)
- "And listen to girl absolutely destroy a song in matter of seconds? Well, yes, I make a habit out of it. Actually I knock several times, but I heard your... singing, and your door was unlocked." - Daemon to Katy
- Daemon takes the name of Kaidan Rowe, the male protagonist of the Sweet Evil series for his fake ID when marrying Katy for the first time in Origin.
- Daemon was alluded to in the book Sweet Reckoning by Wendy Higgins as the protagonist Anna Whitt can be seen reading the Lux series.
- Daemon used to stalk Katy's Krazy Obsession.
- Demon had the app Candy Crush on his phone, and was on level 852.
- He and his brother Dawson Black are fans of the show Ghost Investigators and would often watch maratons and even recorded the episodes to watch later.
- Sweet Reckoning, chapter 5: "I sat in my hotel room, reading about a swoony alien guy."